Who built an impressive fire I might add.
(Yes we have two ranch bottles on the table, but that is in Honor of Uncle Michael, so it's OK!)
Some of my thoughts before all this beauty began.
Years ago when I was a freshman in college, I saw a picture in a decorating magazine of a beautiful kitchen. What stood out to me in the picture though, was the cute little dark haired boy (he looked to be around 6) standing in the kitchen next to the sink, wearing jeans and most definitely a play shirt. He looked so content and comfortably at home as he unconsciously held onto the collar of his big Golden Retriever as he got a drink of water out of the sink.
Random, yes.
I don't know why that picture even stood out to me.
Heaven knows why I even took a double look.
But it sparked something in my mind.
I loved that picture.
That shot looked so peaceful, happy and comfortable. And it made me think about my future. It made me wonder if there was a cute dark-haired little boy for me in years to come, and it made me think about the home I would create, and the comfortable feelings I wanted in that home.
That picture made me daydream about a day in the future when my husband would come home from work, give me a kiss, kiss the kids, then change his clothes and go out and start the barbecue. I'd be putting the finishing touches on dinner in the kitchen, the window would be open, a gentle breeze would be coming through the window and I'd be able to look out and see my kids playing in the backyard, hearing their laughter and excitement. We'd eat outside, and then enjoy the company of good friends that just stopped by for treats or just a friendly visit.
We would all be so happy and life would be good and content.
Silly, maybe.
But that thought made me happy years ago. At that time I wasn't looking to get married or have a family yet, but it reminded me of good, hopeful things to come.
Through the passing years every once and a while I'd remember that moment when I saw that picture, and dreamed the simple dream about my future.
Eventually I met and married that husband who kisses his wife when he gets home from work.
Eventually I had that cute dark haired little boy... In fact I had three.
And in all the day to day living I forgot about that picture and the thought I'd had years ago.
Until last night.
Last night as I was standing in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on dinner, that we were planing to eat outside, I heard my kids laugh through the open window, I felt a gentle autumn breeze on my cheek, and I looked out to see my kids happily playing in their new, big backyard. I looked over at Mike who had gotten home, kissed us all, changed his shirt, and went out to start a fire in the fire pit with the boys for Family Home Evening.
I again remembered that random picture and that random moment years ago, when I thought and daydreamed about my future.
I realized all that daydreaming had happened to me, in fact it was happening right now.
And standing in my kitchen I was reminded that dreams do come true.
5 comments:
That made me smile anne. Thanks :)
ahhhh, i love it! all has come true and i am so happy for you and yours. BUT what about a dog?? now that you are an owner of a home, there must be a dog!?!??!?!?!? haa haa..jk thanks for sharing, super fun to read.
oh and not just a dog..a Golden Retriever! haa haa (name it bobo after good ol times.)
That was beautiful. It's so true...life is happening now and we need to enjoy every second!!
I love reading your posts. I'm glad you are enjoying your new house. It looks fabulous! (love that slide off the deck!) I've been thinking of you guys lately and wishing we could see you again.
Post a Comment