A perk to living in the Midwest, is come late spring the fireflies come out! There is something superbly magical about having sparkling, glowing, flying little creatures dance outside at dusk. To look out over the lawn and see these miniature glowing fireworks appear spontaneously, makes you want to giggle and relish the wonderful, lazy days of summer. Is there a better childhood memory, I might ask, than chasing those floating, little glow bugs around the yard, cups in hand, ready to catch them? Once caught, walla you have a new pet, that also doubles as a night light. How cool is that?! We've been on a firefly hunt here lately. Will and Ike are creating some pretty fun memories. Their also getting pretty good at catching those fireflies, in fact, we have a new pet at our house. May I introduce you to ....
Thomas Rarick Anderson - the Firefly.
Thomas, came to our house and into our lives on Thursday night. We love him so, and have great plans for his future! He lives in a mason jar, furnished with fresh grass, that sits between the boys beds. Last night, the boys felt strongly that Thomas (their debating whether or not to change his name to Doug, in honor of a good friend who recently moved) needed some more firefly companionship. So, the boys caught him a few little friends. Thomas's home was crawling with friends and neighbors. A real party I might add. The boys had a hard time going to sleep, the party was so wild.
Currently, however, Thomas is on vacation. This came about after noticing today, that Thomas and friends weren't moving around as much as they had been. They seemed so tired! I tried to explain to the boys, that this is what happens when you party it up all night long. The boys, on the other hand, thought that a vacation might help these lethargic creatures. Also, a day away would give them some time to change Thomas's grass and jazz up his humble abode. Mike and I agreed that some fresh air would do those fireflies some good. The boys ceremoniously, set them free this afternoon, free to see the wonders of the world. That is until tomorrow night, when a refreshed Thomas will come flying home=)
3 comments:
Hi, Anne!
How fun!! I miss fireflies so much! I've only seen them one time and it was on a Church history trip and never since. Tell the boys Jake and I say hi to Thomas and his buddies!
Love,
Brianna
Kids aren't they so much fun!! Keep up all the good times.
You're so good at painting a picture with your words! What a good mom you are to be creating these memories for them!
Post a Comment