Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tornado

(The boys and me in the basement behind heavy furniture and pillows. Mike also wanted us to wear helmets in case something bad happened. This is around 11:45 p.m. Do my boys look tired?)
My family has been asking to see a few pictures of the recent tornado.
Here are a few....

The sirens went off around 10:30 p.m. Mike and I were just getting to bed. We tried so hard to carefully carry our sleeping children downstairs. Of coarse they woke up ready for the party. Notice, Ike is eating a little Debbie Swiss Roll. We realize that this isn't the best treat to feed your children at 11:45 at night, but the carrot sticks were in the fridge and we (as nervous parents) were trying hard not to freak out our little boys. Now, however, our children look forward to tornadoes. They ask each night if they will get to be carried downstairs, and have a treat. I'm guessing this backfired on us. Next time sacrifice your body for the carrot sticks-=)


Claffin Road in Campus. South of Call Hall Ice Cream. The tornado blazed it's way up the road and stopped at the American Institute of Baking, about 3/4 mile away from our home. Had Bluemont Hill not interfered with the tornado. It would have been dancing on our roof. We feel so blessed.





Little Apple Toyota Honda. I wish we had a better shot of the whole lot. Cars were flipped upside down, and smashed. The huge pillar sign had fallen on a few. in this picture you can see that all the glass windows have been blown out.



A frat house on Campus.


Look at these roots. (tree's on campus)

Midas (All the garage doors have been blown out)


Tornado's do the strangest things. I wish I had a picture of the Nike Tennis shoe, Mike found stuck (I mean jammed to the point of not being able to budge it with a hammer) into the corner of a door frame, when he was working on cleaning up a few homes.

A few homes in the Miller Ranch neighborhood. Mike worked at a house where the family had just moved in a week ago. Most of these homes are around 5 years old.

A few hard hit homes. Look close behind the car. That is the foundation of a home that has nothing of the main or second story standing. About 85 homes in these neighborhood were completely leveled to the sub floor with nothing left, other than the basement and those basements suffered trauma. Hundreds of homes are being demolished as I type.


This was once True Value Hardware, Right off Seth Child Road, by the movie theater.

Toothpick anyone?

A chunck of the above fraternities roof. Most everything was left in toothpick size slivers. This piece stayed together nicely. (If you look close you can tell that some random windows have been blown out of the Engineering Building behind)


The tornado was unbelievable. Luckily no one in Manhattan was killed, but hundreds of lives were changed in the coarse of 1/2 hour and must slowly be put back together again. Daily we pick up insulation and roofing that has blown all over town. Sometimes we find photographs of people and random documents in the strangest places. It's amazing what nature can do. We feel so blessed. Will is sure to tell everyone, that the reason we were safe is because we said a prayer and Heavenly Father answered it. Strangely, I felt a calmming peace during the whole night, even though the rain was pouring and lightening striking all around. I knew we would be ok. I'm thankful to know that Heavenly Father is in control and if we are prepared we shall not fear. Whatever might come our way.

Perhaps the thing that sticks out about this whole ordeal is the amazing human spirit that emerges in a crisis. So many people are volunteering their time and resources to help. The Red Cross has a few tents and trailers set up in the football stadium parking lot, you can go tell them how much time you have to help, and they will bus you to locations that need work. So many businesses show up to work sites with bottled water, prepared lunches, fruit cups etc... A construction company in town was going home to home the day after, just nailing up plywood over windows, doors, and anything else that needed to be covered. The Red Cross was giving free Tetanus Shots to volunteers who needed one. In the stadium parking lot, it isn't uncommon to see Little Ceasers there with hundreds of pizza's feeding the volunteers. This aftermath teaches our family that community is important and that people truly are good and want to help.


8 comments:

Charee B Mcclellan said...

Anne- WOW how scary! Glad your little family was safe and all is ok! You are such a positive and sweet person! take care

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, Anne! I am so grateful that you and your family are safe and that no one was killed in your town. All these natural disasters are crazy and a very real sign of the times. I am heartbroken for all the many, many lives that have been totally turned upside down just in the past few weeks! Lets hope you don't have to worry about Little Debbies vs carrot sticks again any time soon!

Heidi said...

oh my gosh...that's so scary!!! I'm so glad nobody was killed. We've heard a few of those warning sirens go off in Missouri! It makes me so nervous! I'm so grateful for prayer!

Cheramie said...

holy cow! i'm so glad you guys are all safe, i had no idea a tornado was blowing through up there! there's nothing like a natural disaster to remind us how powerless we really are. you're right though, it does bring out the best in people during the aftermath. in times like these i think little debbies are definitely called for.

Lara Family said...

All I can say is WOW!!! I mean WOW! What wonders nature holds in store. We are soooooo glad your family is fine.

Evelyn said...

I love the helmets. I was in AZ when I heard of the T & had to call Dad right them to call you to make sure you were safe. I'll bet the boys thought the night in the basement was so fun that they are ready to do it again!

Miriam said...

You guys had quite a time! My favorite are your helmuts! We've spent some time getting to know our neighbors in their lower level apartments during tornados in Indiana...but nothing like this! Wow! Incredible pictures.

Mylissa 2 said...

That is so scary. I probably would have freaked out. Glad you guys stayed calm for your kids. At least they won't have nightmares about the tornado and will only think about the treats they got!