Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Will

So I need to take a minute and talk about this stallion.
My Will.

Sometimes Will has more energy than he or I know what to do with. I don't know if that is because he is a very active boy, or if his imagination is in overdrive, or if he is 6, or if he is just blessed with a never ending supply. I admit sometimes I am very jealous of his stamina, especially at 2:30 in the afternoon. Usually at this lethargic hour, he is poking me in the side telling me to wake up, because I'm reading the story wrong. I remember my mom doing the same thing. Now I understand, Mother.

Will is a kid that wakes up, early, and goes strong until his head hits the pillow at night. There is no rest, he can't afford to miss out on one wonderful moment of life. He is such a curious fellow, and wants to know it all. He is also one of the most social kids I have ever know. In fact, I've never met another human who can compare to Will and his social abilities. I don't know where or who he inherited this trait from. I love this about Will, sometime I worry about this in Will (you know stranger danger and all), but mostly I get a kick out of his willingness to make friends. To Will a stranger is a friend he hasn't met yet. And our families been blessed by his gregarious nature.

Let me share one or two Willisim for posterity sake.

Last week we took the boys to the Olive Garden for dinner. They love going out to eat, maybe because there are so many new people to meet and watch.
Well, I think we met Will's match in our waiter. During the course of the meal, I enjoy a friendly chat with the waiter now and then, but this fellow was a bit much. I think the only time he left our side was to refill our drinks and those drinks of the table next to us. The remaining dinning time, he was there, next to Mike, standing protectively over our pasta, telling us all about the latest movies. I found myself starting to get a little annoyed, wondering how much I was really willing to tip this imposter. This was not the dining experience I had in mind, and neither Mike or myself knew how to politely ask Tom to beat it.
But then, I watched Will. He was loving every moment of his conversation with Tom. Will would talk movies, Tom would talk movies, Will would talk about Toothless in How to Train Your Dragon, Tom would talk about Hiccup and how awesome it was in 3D. Will, would ask a question, Tom would answer in impressive detail, Will would say something, Tom would respond, "Oh Ya Dude!" Tom told us about his family, his uncle Jerry, his protective mother, his rebellious Pepsi drinking brother, his schooling, his hobbies, his job; and Will was in seventh Heaven, soaking it all up, asking insightful questions.
Then Tom left to get more water.
Will, anticipation pouring out of his eyes, said, "Oh man, I can wait till he comes back and we can talk some more."
Tom came back.
Soon we had to leave.
Will fulfilled, stated"I think I made a new best friend tonight, Mom!"
Lets just say Mike tipped the fellow pretty well.

Willism # 2:
Will loves the song "Long Black Train" it's a winner if you haven't heard it. (Check the play list it should be there). For some reason the words speak to Will's soul and inspire him. I think it's because he was born and raised in the Bible Belt. However, this inspiration came in handy a few weeks ago. Each day before recess, the kindergarten kids have to run the black trail, before playing. Because recess is Will's favorite part of school, and the part I get to hear the most about, it is important for him to run around the trail fast. Each day I pick Will up from school, the first thing I hear is who was first on the trail, and what place Will came in. This is very important stuff!
Well, apparently awhile ago, Will was feeling a little slow when it came to running the trail. He was behind, with no umph to go on, and then he heard it. He heard the "Long Black Train" playing in his head and it gave him the extra adrenaline he needed to pursue. He said, "Man, Mom and then I heard, Victory in the Lord I say, Victory in the Lord, Praise to the Father.....don't go ridding on that long black train, and I was sweaty, but I just started running and started passing people and did it so strong!"
That's wonderful Will, AMEN!


We love you Will! Thank you for making me sweat and smile everyday.

No comments: